Holland America Line’s On Deck For A Cause onboard program is celebrating a significant milestone for World Cancer Day, which was celebrated on February 4. The onboard program, which spans the entire Holland America fleet, has raised $4.5 million for a cancer organizations in six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia,the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.
On Deck For A Cause is a fleetwide program designed to raise awareness and donations for cancer. Each Holland America Line sailing hosts a noncompetitive 5K walk around the ship’s exterior promenade, with guests invited to donate $20 and participate in the sea day walk. Participating guests receive an On Deck For A Cause t-shirt and are invited to a reception following the walk.
A minimum of 75% of each donation is distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society). The remaining 25% is used to cover the administrative expenses of the walk.
“We sincerely thank all Holland America Line guests and employees who have generously donated to On Deck for a Cause and helped us reach $4.7 million to help fight cancer,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “Cancer is a disease that touches too many lives around the world. Through On Deck we will continue to help find a cure.”
Holland America is planning on hosting over 500 walks this year across the entire fleet, worldwide.