At Sea En-Route to New York
“There is one spectacle grander than the sea: that is the sky. There is one spectacle grander than the sky: that is the interior of the soul.”
Saturday, August 29, 2015
Cunard Line’s Queen Mary 2 barely moved around last night. The stillness with which she plows through the north Atlantic at 17 knots is remarkable; it is not until you step outside that you realize how strong the wind is, or that faint wisps of sea spray are carried up over 80 feet to the Promenade Deck, where they collect on camera lenses and eyeglasses in the form of crystallized salt.
The clocks were put back an hour last night, and they’ll be ratcheted back another hour again this evening. Call it the benefit of a Westbound Crossing: six 25-hour days as we trade the time in London for the time in New York, where we will arrive bright and early on Friday morning.
So what can you do aboard Queen Mary 2 with an entire day at sea? Well, you certainly can’t be bored. Here, lifted from the Daily Programme, is what’s going on around the ship today:
- 8:00am: Canyon Ranch Fitness Power Walk. Canyon Ranch SpaClub, Deck 7, A Stairway.
- 8:00am: Canyon Ranch Fitness Stretch & Relax. Canyon Ranch SpaClub, Deck 7, A Stairway.
- 9:00am: Crossword Available. Library, Deck 8, A Stairway.
- 9:00am: Canyon Ranch Fitness Power Pilates. Canyon Ranch SpaClub, Deck 7, A Stairway.
- 9:15am: Canyon Ranch Lecture: Chiropractic Benefits. Wintergarden, Deck 7, B Stairway
- 9:30am: Baggo Competition. Pavilion Pool, Deck 12, B Stairway.
- 9:30am: Beginner’s Bridge Class. Atlantic Room, Deck 11, A Stairway
- 10:00am: Watercolour Class. Chelesea Room, Deck 1, B Stairway
- 10:30am: Morning Trivia. Golden Lion Pub, Deck 2, C Stairway
- 10:30am: Solo Traveller’s Coffee. Chef’s Galley, Deck 3, C Stairway
- 10:30am: Intermediate Bridge Class. Atlantic Room, Deck 11, A Stairway
- 11:00am: Cunard Insights: Dr. John McMichan. ‘Herbal Medicines’. Illuminations, Deck 3, B Stairway
- 11:00am: Line Dance Class. Queen’s Room, Deck 3, D Stairway
- 11:00am: Deck Quoits Tournament. Deck 12, B Stairway, port / starboard side.
- 11:15am: Darts Competition. Golden Lion Pub, Deck 2, C Stairway
- 12:00pm: Eight Bells. Grand Lobby, Deck 3, C Stairway
- 12:00pm: Navigation Announcement. Public Address System.