Viking Star Sets Sail for Bergen
Aaron Saunders, Live Voyage Reports
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Viking Cruises Viking Star rumbled to life shortly before nine o’clock this morning, moving so silently away from our floating dock on the River Thames that I barely noticed our departure as I washed down the last of my breakfast with a cup of fresh-brewed coffee in the World Café on Deck 7 aft.
Before long, we were winding our way out to the Atlantic Ocean. Most guests retreated to the Explorer’s Lounge on Decks 7 and 8 forward, where running commentary was being given over the ship’s public address system. I found myself riveted to the ship’s outer decks, where I happily snapped away as we passed notable landmarks like the Docklands, “the dome”, and the surprisingly artistic Thames Floodgates, which are designed to protect central London in the event of a storm surge on the Thames.
After I’d had my fill of scenic cruising, I retreated to The Living Room on Deck 1, which is quickly becoming by favorite spot onboard Viking Star. The cappuccino was fantastic, and I’ve found it’s just a wonderful, inviting place to sit. Hopefully you’re reading a book and not typing on a laptop like I am when you come to visit, but even if I have to work, sitting in The Living Room makes it amazingly pleasurable.
Here’s a look at what’s happening today onboard the Viking Star:
- 7:00am: Yoga Class – join Zsusanna for this fun class. Fitness Center, 1.
- 8:00am: Last Tender. Viking Star prepares to set sail.
- 8:30am: DEPARTURE: Viking Star sets sail for Bergen, Norway. (672 nautical miles)
- 8:30am: Scenic Commentary broadcast by pilot, Captain William Wells. Explorer’s Lounge, 7.
- 9:15am: Coffee Chat. Get together with fellow guests for a chat or take the opportunity to make plans for the day. Viking Bar, 1.
- 9:30am: Sports Deck is open. Sports Deck, 9.
- 10:15am: Golf Putting. Test your skills on the Viking green with guests. Sports Deck, 9.
- 10:30am: Boutique Seminar: “Tanzanite.” Cinema 1, 2.
- 11:00am: Knit & Chat. Get together with fellow guests for so